What is Auto Enrolment?
The Pensions Act 2008 established new duties for UK employers to provide their workers with access to a workplace pension scheme that meets certain legal requirements. Employers must automatically enrol certain workers into a qualifying pension scheme and pay contributions towards their pensions.
The duties started in October 2012 and applied to the largest employers first. From 2018 every employer in the UK must provide a workplace pension.
What our service provides?
Auto enrolment is an ongoing commitment throughout your journey of being an employer in the same respect of paying tax and NI. We provide a fully managed pension service taking the stress of managing auto enrolment for you.
Our default service and what we do
- Create a NEST pension scheme on behalf of the employer
- Ensure all legally required communications are sent to the employees within the deadlines set by The Pensions Regulator
- Enrol all employees that meet the criteria for Auto Enrolment into a NEST pension scheme
- Calculate pension contributions per pay period and display them on the payslip
- Apply postponements to new employees to cover probationary periods
- Inform The Pensions Regulator when the duties are completed by submitting the Declaration of Compliance
- Manage any 'Opt-Outs' or 'Cease Memberships' processed by NEST and present any refunds due (if applicable) onto the next available payslip
- Manage any 'Opt-Ins' from employees wishing to join the NEST pension scheme who were not automatically enrolled
- Manage the payments into NEST each pay period within the legal deadlines
- Keep comprehensive Auto Enrolment records
- Manage the on-going duties, such as completing the 'Re-Declaration' every 3 years to inform The Pensions Regulator you are still compliant with the Auto Enrolment legislation
Explanation of terminology
- Declaration of Compliance - A document that is required to be completed within 5 months of your legal duties starting for Auto Enrolment to confirm to The Pensions Regulator you have upheld everything that is required.
- Re-Declaration - A document that is required to be completed every three years on the anniversary of the employers Auto Enrolment duties commencing. You are required to assess employees that have previously opted-out and then complete a document that confirms the continued compliance with the Auto Enrolment legislation to The Pensions Regulator.
- NEST Pensions Scheme - National Employment Saving Trust, this is the government setup pension scheme for Auto Enrolment.
- Opt-Out - All employees are required to be enrolled into a pension scheme if they meet the criteria for Auto Enrolment. If the employee does not wish to be in the pension scheme, they can choose to leave. If the employee leaves the pension scheme within one month of being enrolled, the employer and employee will be entitled to a full refund of all contributions paid. This will be paid back via the employer on the next available payslip. If the employee chooses to leave after one month, the employer and employee will not receive a refund, however the amounts paid into the pension scheme will remain. This is referred to as a Cease Membership.
- Opt-In - Employees that do not meet the criteria for Auto Enrolment are still entitled to a pension scheme. If they wish to join the pension scheme, they can choose to opt-in. This will be processed, and contributions will begin from the next available payslip.